An estimated 3 out of every 10 American adults avoid the dentist because of fear and anxiety. Dental phobia can be a serious condition that prevents people from getting the dental care they need. Dr. Alexander offers oral conscious sedation dentistry in Jacksonville as well as nitrous oxide. The patient can feel relaxed and comfortably receive dental treatment with a few extra steps.
Oral Sedation Dentistry
One of the most common techniques in the United States to treat dental phobia is oral sedation dentistry. Administered as a pill, patients remain conscious, yet relaxed, allowing the dentist to perform the needed procedures. Most patients report no memory of the procedure and feel as though they “slept” through treatment despite being awake and conscious throughout the procedure for safety and cooperation.
Commonly known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide is inhaled by the patient through a special mask. The gas helps the patient to relax yet remain awake and cooperative throughout the procedure. Inhalation sedation is extremely safe and effective. The nitrous oxide only affects the patient while the mask is on. Once removed, the effects disappear and the patient is able to continue with their normal routine.
Dental fear is a real issue that many people face on a daily basis. Your fear of the dentist can affect your teeth and in some cases, your overall health, If you are not getting the dental care you need, it can lead to the development of complex dental issues which can mean a more complex treatment program. It is best to visit the dentist for twice yearly preventive care exams so that your mouth, teeth, gums, and jaw are properly checked.
At Alexander Dentistry, we value our patient’s oral health and how they feel when they are in our dental office. Dr. Alexander is committed to providing high-quality, patient-focused dental care. We strive to make each of our patients feel relaxed, open, and comfortable when they visit our office. Dr. Alexander works with you to ensure you receive the care you need in a comfortable environment. If you are looking for a dentist you can trust, visit Alexander Dentistry.
How To Deal With Dental Fear
We want each of our patients to feel comfortable and relaxed during their dental treatment. We want patients to tell one of our caring staff members or Dr. Alexander about their dental fear so that we can make the necessary adjustments. We have compiled a few tips to follow to help alleviate some of your dental fear.
(1) Inform the staff about your dental fear. Dental fear is very common fear among people. Don’t be afraid to tell us that you have some fear or anxiety about your visit. Dr. Alexander and his dedicated staff are committed to making your visit successful.
(2) Bring a friend! If you feel like you may need some support, bring a friend! Having someone close to you during your visit may help keep the nerves at bay.
(3) Bring your iPod. Listening to your favorite song can keep you distracted from your treatment.
(4) Ask your dentist about sedation dentistry. Sedation dentistry is a great way to help patients feel comfortable and relaxed during their dental procedure. Dr. Alexander will go over your medical records to see which method would be best for you. Sedation Dentistry is only administered through close care and guidance to minimize side effects and ensure there are no adverse interactions with other medications you may be taking.
(5) Practice deep breathing. Breathing can help keep you calm during your treatment. Practice some breathing or relaxation exercises before your appointment so you know which method works best for you.
To learn more or to find out if you are a candidate, contact our Jacksonville dental office at 904.372.8157, or schedule a consultation online.